- Hinduism is the world’s 3rd largest religion with more than 1 billion adherents.
- Hinduism is known as one of the world’s oldest religions that developed between 500 BC and 300 BC.
- India, Nepal and Mauritius are the only three countries in the whole world with majority Hindu population.
- Yoga is known as physical and mental exercise in the West but it is in fact a religious practice in Hinduism. (Source)
- There is no prohibition of eating meat in Hinduism but many Hindus are vegetarians due to their disliking of killing of animals for food.
- People are divided in four classes (varnas) in Hinduism. Brahmins (religious scholars), Kshatriyas (rulers and warriors), Vaishyas (merchants) and Shudras (laborers) which are believed to be originated from head, arms, thighs and feet of Brahma (god of creation) respectively.
- Apart from these castes, there are Dalits (untouchables) who are in the system as sweepers and latrine cleaners. (Source)
- Around 95% of total world Hindu population resides in India alone.
- Nepal has highest percentage of Hindu population (over 81%) in the whole world.
Mela, a Hindu pilgrimage, is held after every 12 years and known as the
world’s largest religious gathering.
View of Kumbh Mela in 1989
- Hinduism is a polytheistic religion that believes in several gods (devas) and goddesses (devis).
- Brahma (creator of the universe), Vishnu (preserver of the universe) and Shiva (destroyer of the universe) are the three chief gods in Hinduism.
- Out of total six, there are two schools of thought in Hinduism that believe in atheism.
- Hinduism has highest number of religious festivals than any other religion.
- Lotus is a sacred flower in Hinduism.
- Singing and dancing are acts of worship in Hinduism.
of modern India, Mahatma Gandhi, was shot and killed by a member of an
extremist Hindu party.
Indian founder Mahatma Gandhi was killed by member of Hindu organization
- The largest Hindu temple, Angkor Wat, is located in in a Hindu minority country Cambodia. (Source)
All the galaxies, stars, planets, moons, intergalactic space, energy and matter are included in the universe.According to a commonly accepted Big Bang theory, the universe came in to being around 13.8 billion years ago through a ‘big bang’.The universe is composed of Dark Energy (68.3%), Dark Matter (26.8%) and Ordinary Matter (4.9%).All the stars, planets and other known objects are made from Ordinary Matter.Dark energy and dark matter are invisible. (Source)In 2011, NASA’s Kepler spacecraft discovered the darkest planet in the universe that reflects less than 1% of the light it receives from its star. TrES-2b is the size of Jupiter. One side of this planet always faces the star. No other planet or moon is comparable to this planet. (Source) The universe is expanding continuously and Dark Energy is responsible for accelerating the expansion of universe.Due to constant expansion of the universe, it is not possible to know the exactsize of universe as the observable universe is limited…